The National Association of Broadcasters welcomed last week’s House passage of legislation that extends the deadline for the historic transition to digital television (DTV) to June 12 and gives stations the flexibility to transition ahead of the deadline. The "DTV Delay" bill is expected to be signed into law by the president in the coming days.
"The legislation passed by Congress provides more time for Americans to prepare for the DTV transition and will allow more time for the government to fix the coupon program. We appreciate members of Congress for their leadership and swift action in ensuring viewers get continued access to free, over-the-air television," said NAB President and CEO David Rehr. "America's broadcasters, which have spent the past decade preparing for this historic transition, are ready to make a successful switch."
Under the legislation, consumers whose coupons have expired will be allowed to reapply for replacement coupons.
To help broadcasters continue educating their viewers on the DTV transition, NAB is distributing new television spots and resources that promote the June 12 deadline. NAB will work with stations to coordinate additional analog shut-off tests to raise awareness and help consumers prepare their televisions for all-digital broadcasting. More than 1,000 full-power stations in over 200 television markets have already conducted DTV consumer readiness tests.
"Broadcasters remain deeply committed to helping viewers get their televisions digital-ready in time," said Rehr.